 Trains / 27546
Re: Two more Factory model... hoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:28:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

Does this mean that, if I create a model and it's rejected from the gallery, I
can still hawk the URL around here (or maybe on JLUG ;) for people to buy it?

Or even if I just upload something to check out the price, other people can go
back to it?

Jason R

Well I have never had a problem getting something into my gallery but with that
said the "Sub Galleries" and the "Member Search" are both quite broken.  Now you
can upload something to your gallery and it goes into moderation BUT you can
still use the URL to show folks where to buy it.  So there is a hole in the
moderation process.

All of these shortcommings are one reason the SNVT LEGO Factory contest exists.
Without it, it is nearly impossible to find good models to buy.  As for the
parts becoming unavailable I am not sure where the hole is but the 1x1 plates
were available so they were fine when things went live.  I don't know if it is a
problem with inventory tracking or some other hole in the system.  Hopefully it
will get resolved, one way or the other, soon.

-Eric

Eric,

Can you check with your LF contacts (or maybe you already know) what the shelf
life is of something uploaded but not submitted to the gallery?  For example,
when I click on the check price button in LDD it uploads my model and brings me
to the web page for purchasing it.  I believe the URL of these purchase pages
are the URLs that folks are using for sharing things that aren't in the gallery,
such as Marc Nelson's part packs (or am I mistaken?).  I'm curious if after a
certain time these URLs will stop working?

I've noticed my LDD upload page at LEGO.com keeps a history of everything I've
ever uploaded since I first tried factory.  It doesn't seem to provide a way to
delete any of them, either.  While it's cool if they never delete anything, my
guess is that after a while they're going to want to purge things to save space.
It would be nice if we could see it coming and not just wake up one day and no
longer be able to download/purchase somebody's MOC that they shared this way.

Thanks,
Paul D.