 Trains / 27542
27541  |  27543
Subject:
Problems Buying Factory Models (was: Hoppers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:39:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

Does this mean that, if I create a model and it's rejected from the gallery, I
can still hawk the URL around here (or maybe on JLUG ;) for people to buy it?

Or even if I just upload something to check out the price, other people can go
back to it?

Jason R

Well I have never had a problem getting something into my gallery but with that
said the "Sub Galleries" and the "Member Search" are both quite broken.  Now you
can upload something to your gallery and it goes into moderation BUT you can
still use the URL to show folks where to buy it.  So there is a hole in the
moderation process.

I hope this isn't exactly a 'hole' in the moderation process.  I'd like to be
able to upload models and then pass them to other people without them being
approved and entered into the gallery.

It may be a bit of a grey area though if LEGO have to store models that they
don't approve of in order to fulfill someone's order, and those models become
accessible to others via a URL.  It's totally understandable that they wish to
moderate anything that goes into the public gallery, as that's the first thing
visitors may see.  However, LEGO are still likely to have a problem with an item
that appears obscene but is selectable by anyone via the URL.

I doubt it would even be acceptable to LEGO to have a disclaimer before you get
to see any model you deep-link to.

I certainly don't want to have to wait for approval before I buy any model.  I
also don't want to have to wait for a moderator to decide whether a model is too
close to an existing one before I can pass on the URL to other people.  I
suppose we would end up trading .LXF files if moderation becomes too onerous.

Jason R

P.S. Thanks for passing on the issue of the 1x1 plates.