 Trains / 27532
Re: Two more Factory model... hoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:35:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
I recently uploaded two models to Factory...

One is a covered hopper.
There is a bufferless version
http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=LFH002&mid=bfa3dc3e-b813-43c6-848d-5bdddfe436c4&CMP=EMC-BL6691080302&HQS=LFH002
and a buffered version
http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=LFH002&mid=1d40e704-ef55-475f-a57d-a6c7ecc0f291&CMP=EMC-BL6691080302&HQS=LFH002

The other is an open hopper.
There is a bufferless version
http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=LFH002&mid=281bc89d-c309-4eda-b98c-e09f4ee2eb28&CMP=EMC-BL6691080302&HQS=LFH002
and a buffered version
http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=LFH002&mid=21d65181-f9e5-41ac-b68c-75e1606b149b&CMP=EMC-BL6691080302&HQS=LFH002

If the Factory pictures don't show enough detail, then you can check out
some renderings at save.9vtrains.com
http://save.9vtrains.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=12&page=1

Those are very nice.  I tried entering one of my shorter hoppers.  First I had
to do it in two colours because of the parts selection, then I had an awful job
fitting the parts together.

I kept transferring the file between LDD and MLCAD.  Whilst MLCAD is much more
pleasant to use, I will concede that it's a lot easier to assemble a train
buffer using position snap in LDD.  I also liked the ability to rotate parts
whilst you're dragging them around in LDD.  It would be nice if MLCAD would let
you use the arrow keys for rotation whilst you have the mouse button down to
drag a piece.

One thing I noticed was that if you enter building steps in the LDR file, they
are preserved even when you load and save in the LXF format.  MLCAD is necessary
to sort the pieces into the right order for building.  Unfortunately newer
pieces like the 1x1 slope disappear when you save from LDD in LDR format, so
these have to be added on right at the end, back in LDD.

However, despite all my work, when I went to check the price, I was told "not
available".  I tried removing the buffers and wheels, but still no luck.  this
is really annoying that it doesn't even tell you which parts aren't available,
so I can't even try to modify the design to leave them out.

I got something close to my London 'phone box to work, and a parts pack, but
they couldn't even deliver those without an error.  Whilst I think it's a huge
step in the right direction, overall I've found LDD to be a complete pain.

Jason R