 Trains / 2710
Re: Questions from a trains idiot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:11:32 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip good advice>

Do I need one each of the Buffers, Magnets, and Couplers as well as the
Wheelsets accessories for each car I wish to make?  I assume this should be
obvious, but I want to make sure of what I am looking at here...

To hookup your cars you need to have magnet couplers. There are other designs
to connect cars (there was a discussion here about cars sharing a common wheel-
set for example) For cars to run on the track you would also need train stuff
like wheels, but from there on you can use whatever you like.

More specifically. If you are not building exotic designs, what you need
still depends on what you are making. For a two axle (dinky euro car as
I like to refer to it) you need one each of the wheels pack (it comes
with two axles worth) and the buffers/couplers pack (it comes with two
couplers). If you are building a 4 axle (american freight or a smaller
passenger) you will need two packs of the wheels, one buff/coup and one
pack of the "bogie plates.

Not necessarily.  If you want to model "Eurotrash", as Lar so eloquently puts it,
then use the buffers and bogie plates.  I model US style locos and cars and so I
don't use the buffers.  Instead I use this piece:
http://home.att.net/~partsref/images/3176.gif , the 2x3 rounded plate with a hole to
hold the magnet.  Or you can cut the buffers off (I've tried this and it works
excellently, just not very pure)

The bogie plate is a 4x6 "tile" with a single centered technic pin. It
goes on top of a truck assembly to allow that truck assembly to swivel.

Now, if you are building a 2 axle car, you can just make the floor from
plates. But if you're building a 4 axle, you need something for the
bogie plate to plug into. TLC sells a "train base" which is a 6x28 2
plate high affair that has the holes. OR you can use technic plates and
some cleverness. In either case you need to leave a gap for the pin to
turn in (that is, do NOT put anything directly on top of the hole that
you use, leave at least one plate of free space)

If you have ldraw/ldlite, go to the cad models area and you can see some
train cars and engines, looking at the early steps will help.
Alternatively, go look at scanned instructions such as 4565 and 2126.
2126 is particularly good because it has both 4 wheel and 8 wheel
freight cars. The use of technic plates is a fan innnovation, TLG never
does it, they always use floor plates.

Would I want more than one Train Motor on a train and will this overload the
Speed Regulator?

I think this is no problem. (In my own 12V set I had five trains on the same
track) I guess this will be no different with the new 9V trains.

You can run more than one. As you add more, you get a slow down,
especially on grades. I have run 4 successfully. Very slow. Running 5
trips an internal reset and the speed reg shuts down (it thinks there's
a short circuit). you have to let it cool off and it works again.

Hmmm.  I have run 7 before with no problems.  (Just the motors lashed to one another
as an experiment)

-John