 Trains / 2712
Re: Questions from a trains idiot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:19:38 GMT

For a two axle (dinky euro car asI like to refer to it)
Larry!  some of us don't have enough space to have trains of 15 american
cars...besides which, it would take 5 motors to get it up the grade...it takes
3 under 9 cars now...

If you are building a 4 axle (american freight or a smaller
passenger) you will need two packs of the wheels, one buff/coup and one
pack of the "bogie plates.

_or_ you can use the 2x2 plate turntables.  Not as good a design, but it works
OK.  It lets you make up a plate body, without anything sticking through it.

I'd recommend the bogie plates for most uses.

You can run more than one. As you add more, you get a slow down,
especially on grades. I have run 4 successfully. Very slow. Running 5
trips an internal reset and the speed reg shuts down (it thinks there's
a short circuit). you have to let it cool off and it works again.

As well as using the "official LEGO" speed controller, you can use a regular
train controller.  I use a pair of MRC Tech 2's for my layout, and they are
probably better if you are planning on large grades.  As well, they have other
features.

James Powell