 Trains / 2706
  Questions from a trains idiot

Hey Y'all: I plan on buying one of the fine train sets currently available from Shop@Home and was wondering about a few things. I assume the sets that come with track are complete and will run with the given accessories. I gather that rather than an (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Questions from a trains idiot

(...) Hi! I only have the 12V Trains, but I'm sure there are many people out there to correct me where I go wrong or fill in the gaps :-) (...) The train sets come with a speed regulator and will run out of the box. However I heard a rumour that (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Questions from a trains idiot

(...) Yes. (...) It varies. 3225 comes without track or a regulator. 4565 comes without a regulator but with track. 4559 comes with both. 4561 comes with both. There is a version (europe only, I think) of 4561, numbered 4560, that comes without a (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Questions from a trains idiot

Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip good advice> (...) Not necessarily. If you want to model "Eurotrash", as Lar so eloquently puts it, then use the buffers and bogie plates. I model US style locos and cars and so I don't use the buffers. Instead I use (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Questions from a trains idiot

(...) Sets 4565 and 4560 (german only) do not come with a controller. However, if you are willing to trade some lego, I have 6 availabe (all hardly used, I only used them for the VicLUG picnic this summer). I also have curved track availabe to get (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Questions from a trains idiot

(...) Larry! some of us don't have enough space to have trains of 15 american cars...besides which, it would take 5 motors to get it up the grade...it takes 3 under 9 cars now... (...) _or_ you can use the 2x2 plate turntables. Not as good a design, (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Questions from a trains idiot

(...) Boy is it so nice that 3225 does not come with track or regulator (I don't know about others, but I have a lot more curved track than I need). I may be reaching the point where I have more train motors than I need, but so far I'm not overly (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Thanks (was "Questions from a trains idiot")

Thanks for all of the great advice, Trains Maniacs -- I am sure I'll have more idiotic questions later after I get a set. What are THE cool trains websites and is there a great links page somewhere? Man, I am gonna have to get a house with a (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thanks (was "Questions from a trains idiot")

(...) The coolest train sites would have to be (in no particular order): Matt's Train Depot GMLTC PNLTC There are a huge number of sites that are awesome, but most lack either the amazing creations or the scope of items contained. The train depot (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Thanks (was "Questions from a trains idiot")

(...) I've been building up an extensive links page at (URL) the link to town and trains, and see a bunch of links, categorized at least somewhat by site content. (anyone who has a town or train website who is reading, you may want to check my links (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Questions from a trains idiot

(...) It's no short cirquit,but an overheated regulator, who reduces the output voltage with increasing heath. Using a larger heathsink on the regulator can reduce this problem. The used regulator 'chip' is a LM317T, capable to deliver 1.5 Amp. (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.trains)