 Trains / 24901
  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

As an Australian living in the UK I have to weigh in on this debate. (...) Nor do I. If I want realism I'll build it myself. If I want a nice Lego set, I don't care where it comes from (...) One thing I find is that American trains generally look (...) (19 years ago, 3-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Living at 50 meters from the Deventer - Almelo tracks, I can give some examples of European train style: 1) no automatic couplers between freight cars 2) buffers (is that the right word for those round shock absorbers that each car end has two (...) (19 years ago, 3-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Some of Paul Arzens work is typical for Algiers, France, the Netherlands and even Spain (and no doubt many more, he was the French company Alsthom's main designer for several decades): (URL) some of his later work (URL) are the striping, and (...) (19 years ago, 3-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Well, what's distinct about the trains themselves? There's been some good comments so far but here's some more... -Two axle freight cars -Electric propulsion vs Diesel-Electric -Brighter colours -Advanced technology, eg, TGV, ICE. Overall? (...) (19 years ago, 3-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I find this interesting, can you quantify or elaborate on what makes a train 'train-like' For example what makes a TGV more train like than for example ICE3 (URL) or Pendolino (URL) I don't think it helps that the trains differ from country to (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Thanks to everyone who has answered. I think that these Paul Arzens trains are the closest thing to the real answer to my question. They do seem quite a distinctly European (as opposed to a single country) design and I have noted similar (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Pendolino. Certainly I had heard of the Shinkansen and TGV long before I'd heard of the ICE. I can't really qualify beyond that though: succesful design just seems to work in an intrinsic way. That however may just be me! (...) to see one 'in (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Now, to me, that looks the part. This one not so much: (...) entire train of streamlined head, tail, and coaches. The problem with any of them though is to pick a colour scheme that will have appeal, when they vary so much from one region or (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote: ... (...) Not exactly, the design is quite different from TGV and "Duplex TGV". TGV exists in various liveries - here a link that help you to clearly understand. (URL) Focus on : "Sud-Est" (older one) with his (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Agreed, would be a good official model I think. (...) Well I like it but I don't think it would work as an official model. I included it as an example of loco that is fairly widespread. (...) Agreed, but the seperate vehicles concept can apply (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Good points. I think what you need is either a design that looks particularly desirable (like the SFSC), or something that includes desirable colours (like the BNSF did). How about picking a livery that's mostly dark blue? Jason Railton (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I can satisfy the first part :-) (URL) The real ones run every day along the line south from Derby, probably 2 an hour, along with probably another 2 goods trains with other locos and several DMUs and HSTs. Mark (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)