 Trains / 24956
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 10:50:35 GMT

One thing I find is that American trains generally look more consistent and
"train"-like to me than European ones (the notable exception to this is the
TGV).

I find this interesting, can you quantify or elaborate on what makes a train
'train-like' For example what makes a TGV more train like than for example ICE3
http://www.heinzalbers.org/images/ice3.jpg or Pendolino
http://www.icrs.org.uk/images/Photogallery/Emmington/Pendolino.jpg

I don't think it helps that the trains differ from country to country so
much either.

I think you've got something there, in a way. There are various reasons for
this, the obvious one is that they are different countries whereas the US is one
country (OK, Canadian stock is pretty similar)! However I'm sure that:-

A: In the US in the days when there were lots of different railroads and stock
builders that there was as much variety.
B: European stock is becoming more harmogenised. The class 66 (an EMD product
btw http://www.deakmodellsport.hu/n/d11761_n.jpg) is spreading across Europe as
a favorite of the private freight hauliers, the Germans, Swiss and Austrians all
have varieties of the same electric locos (DB class 152
http://www.finnmoller.dk/rail-de/db152033.jpg)

Overall, I think if I was a newbie I would favour a train like
10020 over most rolling stock from Europe (TGV excepted again), likewise 10133.

What is distinctly European rolling stock anyway? I live here,

I don't think you can generalise that much about European stock as a whole, as
you say it is different in different countries. To me, growing up with British
railways, German steam locos look more like US ones than they do British ones
(due to the greebling, British steam locos tend to have it hidden) I suppose the
four wheeled wagon given as an example elsewhere in this thread is a valid
difference, however a lot depends on the time period you are looking at, I can't
actually remember the time I last saw a four wheeled wagon (or passenger stock
with buffers for that matter)

I look at trains
but I find it hard to see something really identifiable and "cool".

Living in the UK with the preesent state of the railways I'm not suprised!

NB. This is not an attack on anyone, merely my own experience but I figure that
as a non-USA, non-European I can offer a slightly unbiased view.

As an Australian presumably you're more used to US style motive power but with
European (specifically British) 'ways of doing things' in railway terms. (not
disparaging your unbiasedness ;-)  )

Hope that all makes sense anyway...

Tim

Other Tim