 Trains / 24957
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 11:56:05 GMT

Some of Paul Arzens work is typical for Algiers, France, the Netherlands and
even Spain (and no doubt many more, he was the French company Alsthom's
main designer for several decades):
http://trainsdumonde.chez.tiscali.fr/CC7100.htm
And some of his later work
http://surlesrails.free.fr/references/livrees/elec/loc_nc.html
Typical are the striping, and in the second pic the nose shape, which was
supposed to mimic an athlete in action.

Thanks to everyone who has answered. I think that these Paul Arzens trains are
the closest thing to the real answer to my question. They do seem quite a
distinctly European (as opposed to a single country) design and I have noted
similar trains on those European layouts I've seen on Brickshelf etc. Seeing one
of these at Shop@Home would be great.

I realise too that there are many different electric passenger trains around
but, as is the nature of passenger rail, these differ so much from city to
city/country to country. I've actually modelled the train I catch to work here
in the UK but I think that anyone who is not on that route won't really see
them, which is similar for many other electric trains.

Slightly off-topic but I was sitting by the river in Cologne last week watching
trains come into the Hauptbahnhopf and saw some of the more famous European
passenger trains arriving: some ICE's (not sure which numbers) and the Thalys (I
think this is a special livery TGV?).

A model of a Thalys or an SNCF liveried TGV would be great to see and also quite
striking. The problem is, I guess, that to make it decent you need to release a
whole train rather than just an engine. For that, 10020 was wonderful because
the engine is so distinctive and works well alone or with carriages.

Again, thanks everyone.

Tim