 Trains / 24906
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 18:00:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
As an Australian living in the UK I have to weigh in on this debate.

American themed, European themed... at one level I don't care.

Nor do I. If I want realism I'll build it myself. If I want a nice Lego set, I
don't care where it comes from

But at another level, the train show level, I do care. North American prototypes
resonate with the audiences at train shows better than european ones do, and
they fit in with the sorts of layouts I like to do. I think it's goodness to be
able to point to high quality sets (high that I am willing to have them on my
layout) and say "you can't buy THAT, a club member did it, but you can buy THIS
if you want, isn't it cool" to the mundanes.

One thing I find is that American trains generally look more consistent and
"train"-like to me than European ones (the notable exception to this is the
TGV). I don't think it helps that the trains differ from country to country so
much either. Overall, I think if I was a newbie I would favour a train like
10020 over most rolling stock from Europe (TGV excepted again), likewise 10133.

What is distinctly European rolling stock anyway? I live here, I look at trains
but I find it hard to see something really identifiable and "cool".

NB. This is not an attack on anyone, merely my own experience but I figure that
as a non-USA, non-European I can offer a slightly unbiased view.

Hope that all makes sense anyway...

Tim

Living at 50 meters from the Deventer - Almelo tracks, I can give some examples
of European train style:
1) no automatic couplers between freight cars
2) buffers (is that the right word for those round shock absorbers that each car
end has two of, to prevent cars from hitting each other too hard?)
3) more, much more passenger equipment, usually electric, with engineer stands
on both sides. Think of the Metroliner
4) in general, shorter freight cars, about one container long
5) much more freight cars with two axles in total.

Anyway, I like all trains, from any country.

/\/\ark "I didn't consider your remarks as an attack" de Kock