 Trains / 21540
21539  |  21541
Subject:
BBB Inspire Swiss Ae 3/6" Electric Locomotive Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:08:29 GMT

Ben kindly sent to me 6 of his BBB brand wheels. Thanks, Ben!

I’ve tinkered with them a little. I’m really impressed with them: - the ABS material feels quality - the molding is excellent - the Technic cross-axle hole is nice and tight - the Technic pin hole is “snappy” an perfectly positioned across two studs

I was very impressed to find that a 3-in-a-row configuration of the BBB wheels with flanges can pass through track curves: allowing the center wheel set to translate in/out seems just fine. I haven’t tested through switches. Also, in the same 3-in-a-row configuration, I connected two adjacent wheels with the Technic steering arm, using the black Technic 1/2-pin with ball. The flexure at the ball joints seems OK to still allow the necessary central axle translation through the curve.

See this CAD moc-up of a Swiss Ae 3/6 electric locomotive that uses the BBB wheels in a 3-in-a-row configuration. This CAD design uses the old-style spoke wheels as place-holders for the BBB wheels. I think these old-style spoke wheels and the BBB wheels have the same maximum diameter.

Here is the (quick) prototype after which this model is designed.

I haven’t tested the SNOT panel flanging above the BBB wheels. I’m hoping the BBB wheel flange doesn’t hit the panels...

Here’s the Brickshelf gallery for the Swiss Ae 3/6 locomotive with .mpd file.

Thank you Big Ben Bricks, for bringing this new wheel to market!

later,

James Mathis