 Trains / 21553
Re: BBB Inspire Swiss Ae 3/6" Electric Locomotive Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:03:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

   I was very impressed to find that a 3-in-a-row configuration of the BBB wheels with flanges can pass through track curves: allowing the center wheel set to translate in/out seems just fine. I haven’t tested through switches. Also, in the same 3-in-a-row configuration, I connected two adjacent wheels with the Technic steering arm, using the black Technic 1/2-pin with ball. The flexure at the ball joints seems OK to still allow the necessary central axle translation through the curve.

On thing I was wondering with these wheels is how to do a full coupling rod for rigid six coupled chassis, would this work?

Needs to be deeplinked. This is not a deeplink it doesn’t end in a file extension... I’ll say I myself haven’t cracked the full crank yet across a 6 couple that doesn’t have a pair of blind drivers, but I’m working on it!

I tried posting on this subject over the weekend, but of course Lugnet was in a ‘funk’...

I was eyeballing a set of three of the BBB wheels as they went around “those pesky tight Lego curves”. I looks like you’ll need about one brick of ‘play’ for the middle wheel, a half-brick towards the inside, and a half-brick towards the outside. I would have thought you’d need more, but that’s all it takes.

So my idea is to use a Technic axle in the ‘peg hole’, using a Technic cam behind the wheel to hold it in place. That way you could use liftarms as your pushrods, and have them fixed on the front and rear axle, and able to slide on the middle wheel. Of course you’d have to push them out an extra half-stud to gain the clearance around the outside of the corner, but it shouldn’t be too noticable...

Otherwise, shave the flange off the middle axle, and don’t worry about it moving at all! *grin*

Hmmm... I’m at home today, waiting for my #4400s from Shop@Home -- it might be a good day to pull out the Dremel and do some de-flanging! ;-)

JohnG, GMLTC