 Trains / 17744
Re: Real-Build Green Hopper, Locomotive, and Instructions (Re: Some Virtual Train building)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:26:31 GMT

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Huw Millington writes:

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message

European green electric loc with green Makies hoppers (the hoppers are
designed to dispense a load, but it's virtual, and unproven:

As a hopper afficionado I was particularly impressed by these hoppers, • they
are fantastic!

Thanks. POV-Ray rendered instructions are now available at:

That would have saved some time!! I found that your DAT for the hopper body
didn't seem to be in any logical order, so I had to import into Access, sort
on vertical co-ordinates and re-save as a DAT. I'm sure there used to be a
program that sorted in that way, but I couldn't find reference of it at
ldraw.org.

I had to make very few piece/colour substitutions. The 1 wide 75deg • slopes
and inverted corner slopes came from a Red Letter Day haul. (I don't • think
they have ever appeared in a set, have they?). I think I might put black
wheelsets on it, though.

Looks like you had to move the wheels away from the discharge shute, as
well.  Did the original design spacing interfer through curves?

I originally made them 8 long, and no, the chutes didn't interfere round
curves. I prefer 7 long which is the only reason I changed them.

The
discharge mechanism does work, quite well with 1x1 round plates, although • a
couple get caught around the light sabre hinge assembly.

I figured that would be a trouble-spot.  Is the undercarriage and • discharge
shute frail; easily broken loose?

Not at all. The only bits that looked like they might be frail were the
horizontal pillars of the 2x1 dk gray modified bricks. They slop around a
bit, but once mounted in the body, they are a tight fit both at the 1x2 tile
end and also against the bottom of the doors. The chutes are as solid as
they need to be. There's some movement there, but not enough for them to
fall off.

How well do the sloping doors open by
means of the 1x2 tile with handle?  I have wondered if that handle piece
would have enough stiction to work very well through many open/close
operations.

Well enough. They haven't come off yet, although it's a little awkward
getting one's finger round them to pull the door open.

Man, thanks for building this hopper design, Huw.  Glad you guys get Red
Letter Days for some awesome piece grabbing-- better than CAD!  ;-)

Sadly I don't have enough of the rare slopes to make any more, so CAD
definitely has the advantage there...

Huw