 Trains / 16501
Re: British EMU .mpd and Virtual Eurostar Experience (was Re: Work in progress, an EMU)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:42:24 GMT

Just to close the loop on this, someone asked what the US name for EMU or
DMUs would be and I have to say I don't know. The closest I can think for a
DMU would be the Budd RDC (Rail Diesel Car)

Here's a link to an overview of these

http://www.sphosting.com/dayliner/rdc/budd2.html...
note that they mention Doodlebugs as the target that the RDC is to replace

RDCs could be operated as a single unit, or MUed together, with or without
trailers (unpowered coaches)...  I think RDC may have been a trade name
rather than a generic name. Some RDCs survive today in museums, but not sure
there are any NEW examples of Diesel multiple unit self propelled in serious
revenue service.

The closest I can think for a EMU would be any heavyweight interurban from
the 20's on, or the original Metroliner ( they refer to Metroliners as
Electric Multiple Units on some pages) trains.

This isn't the best shot but the second one shows a depowered Metroliner
being used as a control cab.

The metroliner was originally a powered MUable car. The name has gotten
blurred because metroliner bodies were made in unpowered variants which then
became the primary (locomotive pulled) rolling stock in the east (due to
clearances the superliners don't fit), and also the name of some trains on
the NEC.

Hope that helps. US service tends typically to be a bit more locomotive
pulled than UK service in mix.