 Local / United Kingdom / 8132
Re: British EMU .mpd and Virtual Eurostar Experience (was Re: Work in progress, an EMU)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 23:11:03 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
Want the MLCad .mpd file?

Yes please!

Here it is at my BrickShelf gallery:

Thanks to Mark Morgan who sent me some 2x2 yellow windows, I have been
experimenting with various designs today.

I liked your design, and used it as a basis for the green and red version.
I'm not entirely happy with the front, and due to the use of a tile at the
top, I haven't yet finished the roof.

Can you overlap the tile with a plate or brick that is attached across the
width of the tile or possibly from behind the tile?

Unfortunately the vertical 1x6 tiles
do not quite fit between the '1x1 plate with light' and the 1x1 round
headlamp, so I left the latter off. Green and red were about the only
colours I had to hand to try, and IMHO they don't look too bad...

OK, I never real-brick-built this.  Thanks for letting me know.  Off to my
brick pile...

The rest of the gallert shows my first effort, now completed. There's
pictures of it with 2x2 windows and also with 1x1 clear bricks. I am not
sure which I prefer. The 1x1 clear brick version looks better from the side,
wheras the other probably has the edge from the front. Also, using the 2x2
windows means that the corrugated 1x2 bricks can't be used.

I like the 2x2 windows over the 1x1 clear.  It's a tough call.

After seeing your real-brick-build versions, I must say that I like the
thick look of the 1x brick diaphram over the 1x6 tile.  The 1x6 tile just
looks too thin.

Also, I think I would lean to design this 7 or 8-wide if I tried again.

I now have a 4 car unit of the blue train, and it looks pretty good. I don't
think I have enough parts to make a second car of the green/red one :-(

Are these real-life color schemes for EMU's in England?

Now, off to work a bit more on them. Thanks James for the inspiration!

Teaming up on it.  I look forward to your next version.
Glad to see you got some yellow 2x2 windows; that's nice of you, Mark!

later,
James Mathis