 Local / United Kingdom / 8108
Re: Work in progress, an EMU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 23:14:46 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:
Please take a look at this work in progress, the front of an electric
multiple unit, and let me know what you think.

http://www.btinternet.com/~hmillington/PIC00003.jpg

This is the sort of thing I am trying to recreate, but it's difficult in 6
wide:

http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/gb/electric/emu-dc/455/pix.html

Does it pass for  one? The difficulty is the corridor vestibule -- if I
could somehow use thin wall pieces or some snot technique with plates, I'm
sure it would be a lot better.

Has anyone else attempted anything similar?

Huw

Nice to see another EMU in Lego, Huw. I built an unpowered VEP/SEP unit in
blue/grey about 20 years ago using a much cruder method, but I found that
classic 2x2 windows worked best, partially hidden behind the 'pillars' of
the vestibule ends.

No pics of this one, way back in the early 1980s I did not forsee this
question arising 20 years later!

I have started work on an MLV (motor luggage van) which will run on rail or
battery power, just like the prototype. This is a single unit with
non-corridor ends, but I'll still be using classic 2x2 windows. The 455 unit
has a more interesting cab front than the MLV, but the jumper cables are
still a challenge.

Have you considered a third rail? Csn be done using the 4,5v track but
unfortunately all mine is blue so it might look a little odd. Visually, it
looks about right if stepped above the running rails by 1 plate and offset
outwards with a half stud gap between the third rail and the adjacent
running rail. It's a lot simpler than an overhead gantry!

Jon