 Local / United Kingdom / 8125
8124  |  8126
Subject:
British EMU .mpd and Virtual Eurostar Experience (was Re: Work in progress, an EMU)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 21:50:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Huw Millington writes:

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
Want the MLCad .mpd file?

Yes please!

Here it is at my BrickShelf gallery:
Please be aware that I have not put the parts in a logical instruction step
sequence.  Sorry. I hope you can use the "hide pieces" tool in MLCad (the
light bulbs) to see interior construction details.

I think it's incredible that you are able to do these virtual designs so
quickly. I can only work with real media :-)

Regarding virtual designs:  Eurostar Experience

This past Summer I transitioned to mostly doing first-draft design in MLCad.
If a construction method gets a little complicated in complex angles or
questionable construction integrity, I will go to the real bricks and try a
test build.

My first CAD-only design was my Eurostar set.  I built this set entirely in
MLCad first.  I then used the parts inventory list from MLCad to go to my
pile of bricks and sort the necessary bits into zip-lock plastic bags.  Then
I took the loose bricks on the road, leaving all other bricks behind.

The true test of this method came as I took the completely unassembled--
never assembled-- Eurostar to BricksWest 2002 in February at LEGOLAND
California.  With a laptop computer loaded with MLCad, I began the first
real-brick build of the Eurostar.  I started building the locomotive in the
park pavilion tent.

Three fine young gents attending LEGO Club Day at the park noticed that I
was building with loose bricks on the floor over in a corner of the tent.  I
showed them how to advance the MLCad file to the next instruction step, and
they immediately volunteered to build the train.  Very cool.

Here's a picture of the boys and me part-way through building the locomotive:

We ran into a few problems with the instruction illustrations not being
explicitly clear, as well as a few construction fragilities.  But, overall I
think the first-build went pretty well.  It was particularly fun to see how
excited the boys were to be building a train on-site with the SCLTC's big
layout as the centerpiece.  At one point during the construction of the
Eurostar locomotive, one of the boys said, "This looks really cool.", or
something like that.

Later, I finished more of the train.  The first version and real-build did
have some parts errors in quantity and integrity, and eventually redesigned
some of the train.  But, overall, it remaind quite close to the original.

I reckon they are currently my favourite parts. They are so versatile and
add a 'professional' finish to any model that uses them.

Agreed.

later,
James Mathis