 Trains / 15501
Re: Two questions about My Own Train engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 09:16:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Kendig writes:
(1) Why do the 'large engine' instructions give two different designs, one
for if you have the tender and one for if you don't?  I think the 'without
tender' design looks better, but does it somehow get in the way of being
able to attach the tender to the engine?

I've been making such an adaptation for the large engine, because I liked
the side entrances to the cab of the 'without tender' design and wanted to
have the tender at the same time.

You will need the following bricks in your chosen colour extra:
6x  Brick  1 x  1 with Handle
see http://img.lugnet.com/ld/2921.gif
2x  Brick  1 x  2
see http://img.lugnet.com/ld/3004.gif
2x  Brick  1 x  3
see http://img.lugnet.com/ld/3622.gif
(or a combination of 1x2/1x1 filling up the same space)

Now build the engine exactly as the instructions 'without tender' say,
except for:
a - Leave out the stack of 3 Black Bricks  1 x  4 in between the two Black
Inverted Slope Bricks at the back, but do place the inverted slope bricks.
b - Leave out the coloured Brick  2 x  6 and Black Brick  1 x  6 on top of
the earlier mentioned Black Inverted Slope Bricks.
Instead, place the two extra Bricks  1 x  3 on top of the Black Inverted
Slope Bricks, one at each side.

Now you can proceed placing the ladder parts and the cab roof following the
instruction booklet again. The tail lights move to the back of the tender
and you omit the four Dark Grey Rount Plates  1 x  1.
You'll need the other extra parts that I've listed to complete both engine
and tender.

I've made my model adaptation even a bit more attractive, instead of using
Bricks  1 x  3, I've used a combination of coloured Bricks  1 x  2 and
Black Bricks  1 x  1 with Handle, the with the handle pointing backwards.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.