 Trains / 14662
14661  |  14663
Subject:
LEGO Statue of Liberty pedestal (was:Re: Help a Newbie build his first LEGO Train set!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 04:26:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul Klenk writes:
FAO is not your best bet for actually buying things! It's fine to look at
but they charge 10-20% OVER list price. So look, but then buy elsewhere.

I have been aware the FAO Schwartz is overpriced -- I did go there anyway,
but lucky for me it was closed.  Sometimes when I have money burning a hole
in my pocket, I have to run to the nearest store and shake my pants leg
really well.

So I went to the new huge Toys R Us at Times Square, the one with the
four-story Ferris wheel inside (it was open!).

I picked up my second choice, the 4561 train set.  I like less modern ones
better, but this will be fun to play with while I put together an order at S@H.

Perhaps once I get some towns started, I'll do a City theme and a Town
theme, and use the more modern Amtrak-type train in the city, and the more
old-fashioned one for the country.

I got to see the spectacular Empire State Building and Chrysler Building
there.  They're close enough to touch (and yes, I did try to separate some
bricks, but of course they're glued).  Also saw the Statue of Liberty (not
the retail model, but a much, much larger one).  The best part of the Statue
in my opinion is the pedestal.  It is very detailed and quite graceful.  I'm
going to go back to sketch it so I can build a cross section of one side.
The four sides are identical, and of course each side is symmetrical, so it
shouldn't require too many bricks to build half of one side.

Ooh! Does anyone know if there are pics of this LEGO pedestal online? I got
the Statue of Liberty sculpture for Christmas and after putting it together,
sat down and made a MOC pedestal for it on a large grey baseplate (it stands
19" high). I would really like to see this professionally made one.

Ken

FUT set to .general

I digress.  It was fun to get started, and I appreciate your advice.  I'll
be back to review what I got and the new stuff I'm picking up, too.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Paul