 Trains / 14603
14602  |  14604
Subject:
Help a Newbie build his first LEGO Train set!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:57:18 GMT

Hi, everyone!

I've recently renewed my interest in LEGO and have joined LUNGET and to help
me catch up on 25 years of LEGO mania.  My name is Paul Klenk and I'm from
New York City (live in Kew Gardens, Queens; work in midtown Manhattan).

I've always been prejudiced against LEGO "kits" which build a pre-designed
object (it's probably because as a kid my parents had no money to buy
them!); HOWEVER, after looking at the new Train collection in the catalog
and S@H, I really got excited about LEGO trains.

I can see why so many of you have such a strong affection for them.  The
poster is truly fantastic, and I bet some of you have superb collections.
What a great hobby it must be to collect LEGO trains from throughout the ages!

I am going to make an exception to my practice of not buying "kits", and buy
LEGO trains, starting with a whole-hog purchase of a nice set, extra cars
and tracks, and some accessories.  I am aware of the catalog's small
discount when you buy a complete set.

MY POINT (AND I DO HAVE ONE) IS:
Since I know VERY little about LEGO trains, track gauges, voltage or
anything else, I would appreciate some advice before I actually place the
purchase in a couple of weeks.  What pitfalls should I watch out for?  What
should I buy so everything works properly?  Are there other collections that
will run off the tracks being sold right now?

Your help, advice and opinions would be most appreciated.  I'll stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Paul Klenk