 Trains / 14462
Re: Pics: 0-6-0 Steam Engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 05:14:35 GMT

John wrote:

My 12 year old son presented me with this loco for Christmas (which he secretly
built)-- I was, to say the least, quite impressed with it!  Here is how he
describes it:

It is an 8 wide engine with a 5 wide boiler, with the six drivers powered by a 9
volt motor.  He began with unpowered drivers, but found that the engine derailed
from the 9 volt train motor in the tender pushing too much.  Then he tried
powering the drivers from a train motor, but found that the train motor once
again pushed too hard, so he finally ended up powering the motor with a battery
pack. The battery-powered motor running the drivers provides just enough forward
momentum to keep the train from derailing.  He added another 9 volt train motor
to the tender for added traction.

John,
Your son did an amazing job with this engine.  I wish I could build
this well.

Just to clarify, when you say he tried powering the drivers from the
train motor this means that he had a 9volt (technic style) motor
attached to the accessory pickup on the train motor right?  Apologies if
I am being obtuse.

Anyway, excellent model. Thanks for sharing!

-chris