 Trains / 14458
Re: Pics: 0-6-0 Steam Engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 04:20:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
Blind Drivers, that it. I couldn't recall the name for that. Thanks Lar!
I sorta figured that something this had to be done for the longer model RR
engines (O, HO, N...) but I was also surprised to find that blind drivers
where used for real steam engines! I found this out at my local hobby shop a
couple months ago.
SteveB

They were quite common, in fact.  Without extensive lateral motion devices,
they allow for a longer fixed wheelbase (and more wheels, therefore more weight
and tractive effort) than all flanged wheels.  They were used in some unusual
places, including as the front set of wheels on at least a couple of classes of
loco (IIRC, 2-10-x type mostly).  My Caribou has a set- but, that was because
my dad was a little overeager, derailed, and removed part of a flange by
accident, then turned the rest away to make it even.  It is noteworthy though,
that he found that it made a fair difference to the "tightness" of the loco on
some sharpish curves.