 Trains / 14434
Re: Pics: 0-6-0 Steam Engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 18:36:16 GMT

Wow, what a wonderful work! You must be a proud ol'man to have a son with
that much talent. That's as good if not better than many AFOL train MOCs.

BTW: How come none of us ever built a chain driven train before, or used a
combo driver wheels flange/sleeper (are those called sleepers, the wheels
with no flange?). Gotta depend on the young'ins to get out of the box!
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
My 12 year old son presented me with this loco for Christmas (which he secretly
built)-- I was, to say the least, quite impressed with it!  Here is how he
describes it:

It is an 8 wide engine with a 5 wide boiler, with the six drivers powered by a 9
volt motor.  He began with unpowered drivers, but found that the engine derailed
from the 9 volt train motor in the tender pushing too much.  Then he tried
powering the drivers from a train motor, but found that the train motor once
again pushed too hard, so he finally ended up powering the motor with a battery
pack. The battery-powered motor running the drivers provides just enough forward
momentum to keep the train from derailing.  He added another 9 volt train motor
to the tender for added traction.

What I find interesting about his design is that, basically, he has reproduced
the motive power configuration for a typical model railroad engine.  The only
difference is that the motor is picking up power from a battery hidden in the
tender rather than from the rails.

The power for the motor is controlled from the stack, as shown in the last pic.

The pics are here, including one from a schematic he used to build it:

Hope you are as impressed as I was:-)

-John