 Trains / 13544
Re: Digital Controls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:53:04 GMT

James Powell wrote:
Nope- they are under a separate pool.  With the DCC system I have, you can have
up to 9982 DCC equipped mobile decoders at once (plus one analog
one...although, if you have 9982 DCC decoders, I think you have a _very_ large
basement :)

I've been reading the info on the Digitrax website. Some nice stuff.
Some confusing still but I'm figuring it out. I think the 1 to 9999
range on the decoders is so you can put the train's number into the
system. VERY COOL! I haven't gotten that far on the accessory decoders
yet. But I'm guessing the control system allows you to switch between
the DUEL train controls AND the accessories.

(From what I can find, the pool available for accessories is ~2K, with ~4K
sensors on the network (Digitrax)

How do you trigger accessories?

They are controlled on the throttle.  Realize that the DN121 has 2 onboard
accessory commands ("Functions") as well (and some have up to 8 separate
functions). These are separate from the accessory decoders (generally refered
to as stationary decoders)

I'm using Digitrax, (www.Digitrax.com) (local dealer is Pacific Scale Rail in
New West(IIRC) for you.  As far as what I have:

Yes, I've been there, I'll call them on current pricing.

Empire Builder II, with a 5 amp transformer yet to be wired to supply power (I
have it, haven't had time...therfore, I am using a 1A output from a MRC pack
for power...just as a makeshift-that does limit the # of loco's I can run at
once.)

I think you picked the best starter set. It's upgradeable and has some
very cool features.

Decoders-DN121 Digitrax,

I think the DN142 with the speed control system would be best would it
not? When I've used the Mindstorms I find the PulseWidthModulation makes
the thing scream on straights and crawl on curves.  You have at least
one DN142. How do you find it compares to the DN121?
Also, would the DZ121 be a better choice all around for size and
features?

with installation as per Tom's Lego Train page, except
in detail (I cut some parts differently, and leave the accessory "9V" output as
track connected, rather than splicing the function wires to it...2 of my motors
have a special arrangement of function leads, 3 have one plate wired up via the
thin wires on the decoder to both F0 and F1 leads)(The special motors are used
for my Tyne Dock train-including working brakevans...)

Any pics of your motor outputs? I'd like to see how you got 3 sets of
wires out of the unit.

Maybe we should have a lugnet.trains.dcc area for this type of thing as
it does seem it will only grow with time...

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320