 Trains / 13530
Re: Digital Controls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:10:44 GMT

James Powell wrote:

How many controllers can your system have at once?

With the system I have, up to 22 trains (so, 11 dual controllers active-or up
to 22 single controllers active)

Does that include accessories? Like Switch tracks or automated loaders,
bridges etc...

How do you trigger accessories?

Yep, there is power.  The DCC is sent out as a square wave AC pulse, with the
first 1/10th or so containing the coded info, and the remainder being constant
AC to actually power the train. (oversimplified, but close to true).  To run a
conventional DC train, the AC waveform is chopped into something useful...I',
not that sure of exact waveforms used, but if running only DCC, then the DC
train doesn't make any noise, if you go to run a DC train, it hums something
ferce.

Wow. Amazing! Truly!

So, you can still run one conventional train...of course, the disadvantage is
that you can only run ONE conventional train on the entire layout that the DCC
is connected to.

The fact that you CAN run any standard Motors is amazing in it's self!

I have to find more time to play with some parts of it, but it does work good
straight out of the box.  I know there are some tweeks which would help, but I
don't yet have a decoder programmer- and I haven't had much time to play with
it since mid summer.

What DCC system are you using? (Brand, parts etc.?) So that I can
research it better.

Dean (Who's Metroliner shipped on Oct. 8th! Can't wait)

--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320