 Trains / 12050
12049  |  12051
Subject:
Retraction about offset stud on box cars and stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:00:06 GMT

  Some time ago I said that I didn't think that adding the ribbing details--a la
the 1/5 stud offset--was worth the extra bricks that it would cost me.[1] I
guess I was extrapolating from my own tries at a 1/2 stud offset (which were
less than satisfactory). The conversation about 1/5 stud offsets the other day
got me thinking about them. When I looked at the details of the 1/5 stud offset
construction, I though that it did not look that expensive special part wise. In
fact the only special parts that have to be the right colors are the tiles. The
technic stuff can be any color. So, to make a short story long, I decided to
give it a try. I built one side of a box car, and I must to say, if you haven't
tried a 1/5 stud offset go home an do it tonight!
  I went with a 1 stud long rib between two stud long panels. The subtlety of
the 1/5 stud offset is beautiful. Don't know if I'll go back and redesign my box
car and my refer, but I am certainly going to collect some 1x1's and some 1x2
tiles and finish off this box car.

Thanks everyone,
Chris

1. I am noisy, but I still think of myself as a small-(maybe medium)-timer
around here. My collection is hovering around 50K bricks, and I don't seem to
buy like some of the big-timers. Please do not mistake this for a "take pity on
me post". I know I have a lot more LEGO than a lot of people out there; I am
just adding context for what I mean by too expensive to me.
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/