 Trains / 12064
Re: Retraction about offset stud on box cars and stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 16:46:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tony Hafner writes:
So, to make a short story long, I decided to give it a try. I built one
side of a box car, and I must to say, if you haven't tried a 1/5 stud
offset go home an do it tonight!

Interestingly, I was toying with this yesterday. I was actually trying to
see if I could get a similar method to work, but in a 4 or 6 wide config.

Does anyone have a .dat file that shows how this method work?

No .dat file, but Gianluca Morelli does an amazing job of demonstrating his
technique with a pencil.  His solution does this very nicely in 6-wide.  I
had the privilege of seeing the ITLUG car in the flesh at PNLTC's Guinness
World Record attempt show last August, and we marveled at the beauty of the
car.  And of course, we had to open it up to see how it worked.

Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com
www.pnltc.org

That's quite impressive, to have both the inset sides and the lettering.
But, it only shows the two halves being kept 4 plates apart (5 plates = 2
studs).  It doesn't appear to have any way of locking them in place on the
body of the wagon.

Jason J Railton