 Trains / 12051
Re: Retraction about offset stud on box cars and stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:27:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Some time ago I said that I didn't think that adding the ribbing details--a la
the 1/5 stud offset--was worth the extra bricks that it would cost me.[1] I
guess I was extrapolating from my own tries at a 1/2 stud offset (which were
less than satisfactory). The conversation about 1/5 stud offsets the other day
got me thinking about them. When I looked at the details of the 1/5 stud offset
construction, I though that it did not look that expensive special part wise. In
fact the only special parts that have to be the right colors are the tiles. The
technic stuff can be any color. So, to make a short story long, I decided to
give it a try. I built one side of a box car, and I must to say, if you haven't
tried a 1/5 stud offset go home an do it tonight!

Interestingly, I was toying with this yesterday. I was actually trying to
see if I could get a similar method to work, but in a 4 or 6 wide config.

Does anyone have a .dat file that shows how this method work?

Jake

---
Jake McKee
AFOL