 Trains / 11529
Re: Scans of My Own Train Stickers Wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 23:14:35 GMT

A bit of rearrangment, a snip here, a snip there...

In lugnet.trains, Richard Marchetti writes:
Would you be kind enough to share the search string you used for that search
so I can do a bit of research before weighing in on this? Thanks!

Actually, I initially just searched "sticker scans" and then came by the
other threads by stealth because people like Rose Regner (my favorite person
to drag into an explosive subject) had mentioned doing a CD of scanned
sticker images.

Thanks!

I note that Tom Stangl has also requested scanned sticker
images before, although I don't recall if they were for current or older
sets. Then again, I don't see the difference...

<snip where I said you could go buy a MOT to get the stickers>

Yeah, but cheap guy that I am -- I'd rather blow my dough over on Brickbay!

There's the difference for you! And you know what it is already, don't you
Richard?

You *can't* go buy a London Bus from Lego and having a sticker scan is no
skin off Lego's nose at all. But you *can* buy a MOT and *might* (under some
vastly stretched scenario, admittedly) be inveighled to do so *just* to get
the stickers if you couldn't get scans. (I've done nuttier things, although
fortunately my jones doesn't extend to stickers. Yet. Gulp.).

Small beer indeed, and as you say, a right not preserved is a right lost
(aspirin was, after all, a Bayer trademark at some point in the past, or so
it is said).

I think the post from Brad you referenced seemed to make it fairly clear
that LEGO would rather we not freely swap around stuff that they consider
trade secrets and would rather we not freely swap around stuff that people
can go out and buy... and that's Kevin's take on it too if I read what he
said correctly.

That said, this particular bit of theft isn't likely to cost LEGO much.

Whether it's our duty to be Lego's policeman on this issue is one question.
Whether it's likely to get LUGNET in trouble is another. (recall that Todd
said he didn't want LUGNET to be a "leak club"...)

I don't know the answers to either of them and am not sure that trying to
answer them in depth is likely to be a fruitful line. But hopefully that
gives some perspective on where Cary came from. You didn't need to come down
on him quite that hard, did you? (I know, I know, you've a rep to preserve :-) )

++Lar