 Trains / 11523
Re: Scans of My Own Train Stickers Wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:45:55 GMT

OK...who knew this would be a hot-button issue? Geez!

Legal issues:
• Yes, someone scanning the sticker and e-mailing it to Richard would be
'illegal'
• I meant the "back-up for personal use" line as a joke-spoofing the age old
audio and data back-up issue
• BUT, as long as Richard isn't going to mass produce the stickers for sale
to the public, he won't be in any kind of trouble, and neither will anyone
else (I'm an alumni of Kinko's, the Lord High Ruler of the Kingdom of
Copyright-Cover-Your-Ass, and even we knew that people wouldn't really get
in trouble for making one color copy of a page of a library book for their
own personal use...It's usually called common-sense rather than a loop-hole
in copyright law, but accomplishes roughly the same thing. LEGO would not be
defrauded in ANY way by Richard having a TIFF version of the My Own Train
stickers on his system, or if Richard printed them out once or twice for his
use. Sure he might not buy ten of the sets just to get the stickers, but,
honestly, who would begrudge him that? Perhaps LEGO needs to get on the ball
with support sevice-packs that are just stickers? I hear they need to make a
profit or something.)

File Issues:
• EPS is the best file format to use for everything, since extra data about
the file (especially advanced color info) is stored right within the file.
TIFF (and the lesser formats) are re-interpreted every time they are opened,
differently depending on which program they are opened with, and will be
slightly different each time. The only caveat to this is that most home
ink-jet printers will not print EPS files (which are handled by PostScript
printers) and then TIFF is the best option (unless printing our of
Illustrator to an ink-jet, where Illustrator handles the file raster in
software and delivers a good print regardless).

Matt

FUT lugnet.off-topic.geek