 Trains / 1138
Re: Hey, Joe. What doors do you use on your caboose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:31:12 GMT

Hi Larry,

Sorry to be adding this so late but I just joined the newsgroup...I have
had a lot of success with Microscale decals and the Microset that is
applied over them...Great results!  Much better than (well, at least
different than) the dry transfers, they just don't come out as well.

Carrie

Well, I generally like Joe's work but I have to take a contrary view. I
feel there is a line between "successfully selectively compressed" and
"too small" and I feel this particular caboose is well over that line.
It's so short that it is disproportionately tall compared to length.
This makes it look toylike. Not the look I go for. Within the selective
compression limitations, I go for a beefy look that suggests much larger
equipment.

Contrast with mine, which is significantly longer (but also uses red
town doors and 2x2 windows). Admittedly I'm biased but I think mine
better captures the spirit of a caboose than Joe's or the Steve Barile
Chessie caboose (which suffers even more since it only has 2 axles. Very
unprototypical.) which are the other well known cabeese out there.

On the decal question, these are neither. They are decals. A decal is a
thin film that is floated off its backing paper by long (60-120 second)
immersion in water, applied, while still wet, to the surface, and
allowed to dry. Dry transfers are pressed off, and stickers are peeled
off, respectively, from their backing paper.

Wet decals are superior to either other technology for detailed
decoration, especially when adhesion to irregular surfaces is required
(a chemical, tradenamed "solvaset" can be applied while the decal is
wet, or after it dries to stretch them to allow conformance).

Decals in model railroading are typically oversprayed with a dull finish
clear paint to strengthen them as they are quite fragile and should not
be subjected to any handling. In the Lego application, this overspray is
not practical, really, due to the effect it can have on the plastic.
(decals are most typically applied to painted surfaces, prior to
weathering chalks being applied to simulate dirt)

Christopher Masi wrote:

PS. Are Micro-scale decal sheets removeable stickers or are they • semipermanent
rub on decals?

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.