 Trains / 11085
Re: Home layouts (Re: Huge layout)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 01:37:58 GMT

Dwayne Towell wrote:

A nice layout, but why didn't you make it possible for trains
to switch from one loop to the other - why the isolation?

The main reason is that I want to have multiple trains on the track and I'm
not sure what would happen if two transformers behave when accidently get
shortcircuited because the loops are connected.
I heard that some LTCs use multiple transformers to power the same layout,
so I might be overcautious but I'm not sure.

I was in charge of powering the train for the 3000+' attempt at PNLTC's
G2K World Record attempt. We used 10 or 12 power supplies on a single
very long track. As long as the polarity is set right, we detected no
ill effects. The train speed was some type of weighted average of the
two nearest power supplies; the closer the train was to a power supply
the more its setting effected speed/power.

In cases where I have accidentally mismatched the polarity, I have not
seen any adverse affects. OTOH, I try no to do that and fix it as soon
as I notice it.

A simple examination of the electronics says that there is almost no
possibility of a problem if the two controllers are set to the same
polarity.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com