 Trains / 10924
Re: Home layouts (Re: Huge layout)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:46:34 GMT

I might concider to run one loop using DCC, but I'm not sure how it would
work. How does DCC communicate with the controlling unit in what block the
train is? I have seen a few webpages about how to build a DCC unit in trains
but I have no clue in what way the train is 'aware' of where it actually is
on the layout.

It's not aware as to where it is, that _can_ be done, but I haven't
investigated far enough to tell _how_ to do it.  (You can cornfield meet 2
trains with DCC easy...its much harder to do so with regular train wiring)

DCC is primarily intended to remove electrical (artificial) blocks from the
railway, and force operation in a prototypical manor, that is that the driver
is responsible to stop for signals, and if he wants to pass them, fine- smash!

I know that DCC can be hooked up to a computer (RS232 port & adaptor), but am
unsure as to how the detection would work.

James