 Town / 7257
Re: That old set FEELING...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 03:58:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
   Yesterday I opened a MISB 6929 Starfleet Voyager and build it. The build took surprisingly long time, but it was worth every minute of it. There was a FEELING building this classic, seeing it grow in front of your eyes, that I just don’t get building a recent set - none of the Star Wars sets had this special quality, that I just can’t explain.

Am I the only one having it like this? Does anybody have a better word for this?

It’s called nostalgia. I was surprised a few years ago to find that I don’t suffer from it. I’ve probably told this story one too many times, but anyway...

Like most Space Lego fans, I lusted after the 928/497 Galaxy Explorer. For nigh on twenty years I had wanted to have this set. Then I had the extraordinary good fortune to buy one that had only ever been built once and was in pristine condition.

I spent an evening building it. It was an interesting build, because the plate construction seemed reasonably unique compared to other Classic Space sets I had built, but when I had finished it and swooshed it around a few times, I was both surprised and disappointed to find that it didn’t give me the feeling of nostalgia that I expected. In fact, I didn’t even find the ship as cool as I thought I would when I finally got it in my hands. I looked a bit dinky.

Anyway, light the torches, I’m ready to be tied to the stake now. :-)

Cheers,