 Town / 2452
Re: Town contest voting temporarily closed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:24:28 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Kevin Wilson writes:
We have another "spike" problem, this time even more blatant, on Ahui
Herrera's A&M Train Station. Between last night and this morning, more than
30 votes were cast for this model (out of less than 40 total cast) in all
the special categories. Perhaps someone is trying to make a point, or
sabotage the contest, (and it could be anyone, I'm not even pointing the
finger at Ahui here) but it is now obvious that using the honor system just
isn't going to work, nor is this particular voting engine.

I was wondering how long this would take to happen...  It is pretty sad, its
one thing to vote (once) for your own creation but to intentionally sabotage a
contest that is relatively meaning less.  By that I mean there are no real
prizes, therefore only pride is at stake, and how can one be proud if they
didn't win legitimately?

Thanks to Mark, Shane and Ryan for alerting me to this (and keeping track of
vote counts).

I'm disappointed...no, I'm downright ^&%$^& angry that this is happening.

I'm with yah man...

I need to think about the best way to handle the voting so no-one can cheat.
It will be simple and it will limit the people who can vote - I'll post
again as soon as I have it sorted out, and we'll start over.

OK here is one thought.  How about doing this by E-mail but have a different
person take and tabulate the votes for one catagory only.  It is pretty easy to
set up some E-mail forms and have them sent to a spacific person.  These people
could be contestants but I would suggest that they only tabulate votes in a
catagory they are not participating in.  Therefore I would volunteer to
tabulate a catagory other than Diorama and Small buildings.

This of course is just one suggestion out of many possibilities.

Sorry to everyone who must be as disappointed as I am with what's happening,
it's very sad that even in the Lego community we have our share of #^%&$'s.

Well it happens.  Unfortunately some feel that winning is everything even if
you don't win anything.

Eric Kingsley