 Town / 2483
Re: Town contest voting temporarily closed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:26:06 GMT

Kevin:
Having followed this topic and thought a bit about it, I'd like to suggest that
simple voting isn't the best means at arriving at a quality outcome.

Simple voting becomes a matter of popularity, and if I had an entry, I could
email all my friends, or email all my co-workers, or email my entire company,
or email my entire country.  If I worked for GE in India, that would be about
300,000 in the company and a few 100 million in the country. Scary numbers.

And since simple voting becomes a numbers game, if I get only 0.1% to respond -
I'd win.

Two other viable options are out there are each are used with a measure of
success.

- Voting for a fee. This discourages the mass voting and the funds can be used
for the award.  However few would probably participate, and administering the
process could be prohibitive - although a paypal account could work...

- Voting by a select group - (aka judges).
Many artistic, creative and athletic groups rely on this method.  Many olympic
sports use this, art and science fairs use this, the academy awards use this,
even LEGO itself uses this.  I would recommend this method.
But - who is a judge?
You need a group that has proven themselves, and if they have entries, they
should pass on voting in that category. My recommendation is that you send a
ballot to each member - of the recipients of the "Cool Site of the Week" award.
They have already been voted on as having some LEGO prowess, even if it isn't
limited to MOCs - that's ok, and just as Academy Award nominees solicit the
Academy members, an entrant could do that too - although it may discourage
their vote, given the nature of our group... :-)

-Jon

In lugnet.announce, Kevin Wilson writes:
We have another "spike" problem, this time even more blatant, on Ahui
Herrera's A&M Train Station. Between last night and this morning, more than
30 votes were cast for this model (out of less than 40 total cast) in all
the special categories. Perhaps someone is trying to make a point, or
sabotage the contest, (and it could be anyone, I'm not even pointing the
finger at Ahui here) but it is now obvious that using the honor system just
isn't going to work, nor is this particular voting engine.

Thanks to Mark, Shane and Ryan for alerting me to this (and keeping track of
vote counts).

I'm disappointed...no, I'm downright ^&%$^& angry that this is happening.

I need to think about the best way to handle the voting so no-one can cheat.
It will be simple and it will limit the people who can vote - I'll post
again as soon as I have it sorted out, and we'll start over.