 Town / 2456
Re: Town contest voting temporarily closed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:45:29 GMT

I'm disappointed...no, I'm downright ^&%$^& angry that this is happening.
Understandably so, after all the effort you put into making this a fun
oriented excercise.

I need to think about the best way to handle the voting so no-one can cheat.
It will be simple and it will limit the people who can vote - I'll post
again as soon as I have it sorted out, and we'll start over.

That's really unfortunate for the people who've voted (I haven't yet voted
because it's taking a long time to go through all the entries and weigh them
against each other. And then do that for each category!) -- I imagine most
people who voted would've spent as much time deliberating as well.

As for how to handle the voting: per email is useless, as many people have
multiples (also, I think that involves you doing a manual count). If we used
cookies to mark a computer that's been voted with, someone who really wants
to cheat could just erase the cookies from their computer each time.
Registered voting (e.g. using Lugnet memberships) seems pretty secure, but
limits who can vote.

Per isp seemed reasonable, BUT with one caveat (that I mentioned to you on
the phone, and I'm posting here to see what everyone thinks): how about NOT
showing the current results? I think people need to see the current results
to stuff the ballot (after all, if you're behind by 20 votes and you want to
win you need to put in at least 20 votes.

Of course, without current results, somebody could simply vote for
themselves many, many times... but then I THINK it would be blatatnly obvious.

I dunno, what does everybody think? Sure, it wouldn't be as much fun during
the contest, seeing how every model is doing, but the voting period was
fairly short (10 days) so I think we could survive the suspense.

Mark W.