 Town / 2457
Re: Town contest voting temporarily closed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:18:20 GMT

Might I make several suggestions.

1) If you are concerned about multiple voting use the poll taking engine
that is used by the webiste From Bricks to Bantans. They use an engine that
allows only 1 vote per IP address (in essence 1 vote per person).  Conatct
Ace at ace@yakface.com to see what engine he is using.

2) Spread the contest out for each of the categories.  There are too many
entries for any one person to resonable 'grade' for the entire contest.
Perhaps 1 category per week (for the bigger areas: medium and small
buildings) and 2 categories for the smaller areas.  The results would take
longer but I think people would be willing to do this.  Plus the results
would be better.

I can tell you from first hand experince that my friends who voted for me
today (I sent emails to 50+ people at work and over 100+ on my mailing list)
told me that they DID NOT have the time to see every other category.  So
most just voted for me on the medium size category and the specials.

I hope this helps in sorting out the mess that the voting that my friends
and co-works did.

In lugnet.announce, Kevin Wilson writes:
We have another "spike" problem, this time even more blatant, on Ahui
Herrera's A&M Train Station. Between last night and this morning, more than
30 votes were cast for this model (out of less than 40 total cast) in all
the special categories. Perhaps someone is trying to make a point, or
sabotage the contest, (and it could be anyone, I'm not even pointing the
finger at Ahui here) but it is now obvious that using the honor system just
isn't going to work, nor is this particular voting engine.

Thanks to Mark, Shane and Ryan for alerting me to this (and keeping track of
vote counts).

I'm disappointed...no, I'm downright ^&%$^& angry that this is happening.

I need to think about the best way to handle the voting so no-one can cheat.
It will be simple and it will limit the people who can vote - I'll post
again as soon as I have it sorted out, and we'll start over.

Sorry to everyone who must be as disappointed as I am with what's happening,
it's very sad that even in the Lego community we have our share of #^%&$'s.

Kevin
(having a hard time keeping my language family-friendly at this point)
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
eBay Lego auctions: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/
The Guild of Bricksmiths: http://www.bricksmiths.com