 Technic / 7592
7591  |  7593
Subject:
Overpowering LEGO electric parts [was Re: Aviation Tractor MOC]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:46:03 GMT

"Thomas Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> writes:
In lugnet.technic, John Barnes writes:
There are two issues here.

1. Can the motors sustain more than 9 volts without damage?

If I was TLC designing motors for use by kids...

How about crazy adults with a thirst for more power? I used to run my old
4.5v motors with a 12v power source. They still work fine today ;-)

When I was a young'in I got tired of having to always ask my mom for
more batteries to power the lights in my space bace (remember the old
yellow 2x2 bricks with light bulbs in them?)... so I put the power
leads from my 4.5 into the wall socket (110VAC).  Those lights were
awfully bright, for about two minutes!

I kept them, in case I ever figure out a way to open them up and
replace the bulbs.  I still have them in fact.  (They still don't
work.)

So, this can be taken too far.  (Give me a break, I was only about
10.  Luckly I didn't kill myself!)

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!