 Technic / 7566
Re: Aviation Tractor MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:16:09 GMT

Hi all,

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark wrote:

going to 9.6V makes a serious difference. Of course the motors are
only rated at 9V so there may be some risk in this... I'd be
interested to hear opinions on this.

Jennifer

This reminds me of a series of vehicles that my friend Robin and I made, oh,
15 or so years ago now.  We were building remote-controlled cars, using a
bunch of batteries taped together for power, and a car speedometer cable to
steer them from the battery box "handset".
Before I digress, this was of course with the round 4.5V motors, and I
distinctly remember us saying "more power, more power".  We ended up running
the cars on (probably) a combination of 1.2V and 1.5V cells, so the motors
were operating at about 8V.  I think Robin's motor died eventually, though
it was more to with general wear and tear rather than volts, because mine
still works to this day.
On a related note, we progressed to racing radio-controlled buggies and
trucks, with motors designed for 7.2-8.4V, and given some cooling, you could
run them on 9.6V, and up to 150% of the rated voltage quite happily.  I
expect that the Lego 9V motors, of which I have no experience, are somewhat
less robust (50 amps perchance?) but I would think that 9.6V, with the
gearing that Jennifer suggested, will be no problem.

Becky