 Technic / 7564
Re: Aviation Tractor MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:36:59 GMT

Nice job Simon! I always like watching these machines at the airport too,
did the spec sheets you received state what sort of horsepower and max speed
these things have?

As for the power problem, two 9V gear motors should be able to drive a
machine of that size and weight quite well. Off the top of my head I'd
suggest a gear ratio of around 24:1 from motors to drive axles; it will be
pretty slow, but then the real things are pretty slow anyway. The double
diff is probably superflous, certainly I've been able to gang two motors
together without using a diff beforehand, and as long as the RPMs don't
differ too much I can't see there being any great efficiency losses.

I don't have an 8880 but I remember people mentioning that the CV joints
have a lot friction in them, so perhaps this is causing some problems?

Another thing I've come across, especially with multi motors setups, is the
requirement for the batteries to be delivering enough current. A 9V PP3 just
cannot cut it, but 6 normal AAs in parallel are great. Another combination
I've used recently to surprisingly good effect is 8 AA NiMH rechargables in
parallel using a battery box from Maplin (about 70p). This gives a total of
9.6V and really shifts the motors; motor power goes up as the square of the
voltage, so if you had previously been using 6 NiMH giving 7.2V, going to
9.6V makes a serious difference. Of course the motors are only rated at 9V
so there may be some risk in this... I'd be interested to hear opinions on
this.

I'm not sure if the compressor has a cutoff, as running a motor in a heavily
loaded of stalled state such as when an air tank gets filled up also
consumes a lot of power from the power source.

Jennifer