 Technic / 5902
Re: Technic beam colours
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 05:37:45 GMT

Regarding beam colors, I approach this from a different POV.  In teaching
classes involving Legos I've found that life is much easier if I can provide
"teams" of students with color-coded "kits" of parts for my robotics and
machines courses.  It eliminates "borrowing" and makes clean-up much easier.

In my experience - which includes wide exposure to and use of DACTA sets, I
find that Yellow, Red and Blue are by far the most numerous colors (by
virtue of their preponderance in DACTA sets).  Yellow shows up alot in the
Technic "construction" vein and Red in the "Fire Truck" vein.  Black is more
common in the Technic sets as "support" pieces, putting it fourth most
common on my list.  Black and Light Grey show up sporadically elsewhere but
the Star Wars/Mindstorms provide much of the light and dark Grey, White and
Black.  Green shows up in a few sets (Code Pilot and the current truck)
though in small amounts.  Turquoise beams show up in the rare and
discontinued Cybermaster line.

I've been able to put together sets equipped in Yellow, Red, Blue, and
Black.  Some beams and plates in red are relatively rare.  Sets in White and
Grey are not quite complete (Grey uses both light and dark) while white is
supplemented with black.  The green set is heavily supplemented with black
(at least 50%) and turquoise.

I'd LOVE to see TLC offer Technic beam and plate sets (and wheels and
hubs)in a RANGE of sizes packaged by color:

Yellow, red, blue, black  - relatively common already

White, light grey, dark grey, green, turquoise - far less common

Orange, purple, brown - don't exist

These colors allow an even dozen "kits" - in my experience the maximum
number of teams you want to deal with in a class environment.  I can't
believe that it would cost much to run and package beam and plate
assortments in each of these colors.  TLC would sell tons especially  if
offerred  AT A REASONABLE PRICE - think "Technic Tubs".

Unfortunately it seems that the whole Technic line is moving away from the
"classic" technic format of holed rectangular beams. There are too many of
the smooth holed beams and axle/connector pieces.

Again I think this is an area where I suspect TLC is "missing the boat" in
making things too simple and ignoring the potential in the educational
market (while pursuing bizarre niches like management "team building" and such.