 Technic / 5759
Re: New Tower Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:34:07 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas (T. J.) Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, Andrew Bissell writes:
Something I am interested to know is what type of string you use for your
crane winch?  I used Carpet Stiching Twine for it's strength however it has
a lot of twist and consequently I was not able to make a 1 to 4 winch as
without a fairly substantial weight on the hook the whole thing became tangled.

I haven't found any good string either. I've used simple cotton thread and
also nylon rope. Both types have residual "twist" that effects your block,
particularly when it's lowered all the way and the string length is long.

Awesome crane!

As for string, I've been using a special fishing line I discovered.
Unfortunately I'm not a fisherman so I can't describe what its for but I can
tell you what it looks like.

Its a black braided thread, much like lego string.  Its braided in such a
way that it has no twist, very little stretch, and doesn't coil much either.
Comes in a range of strengths.

So look in the fishing section of your local stores you might find something
similar.

Derek