 Technic / 5729
Re: New Tower Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:20:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Andrew Bissell writes:
I have just updated my web site with a new tower crane built a few weeks
ago.  I would very much appreciate your comments.

Something I am interested to know is what type of string you use for your
crane winch?  I used Carpet Stiching Twine for it's strength however it has
a lot of twist and consequently I was not able to make a 1 to 4 winch as
without a fairly substantial weight on the hook the whole thing became tangled.

I haven't found any good string either. I've used simple cotton thread and
also nylon rope. Both types have residual "twist" that effects your block,
particularly when it's lowered all the way and the string length is long.

I suppose you'll have the twisting problem with any small string used. One
thing that will help is to part your block 4 or more times. By having your
block (and hook) hanging by multiple strings, the residual twist on
individual strings can sometimes cancel each other out. Your block (and
hook) then hangs without twisting much.

Of course, to be safe you can part it 20 times like I did with my crawler
crane ;-) Then it takes 1.5 hours to completely raise up the hook instead of
15 minutes.

TJ
www.texbrick.com