 Technic / 5734
Re: New Tower Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:01:18 GMT

On your website you talk about changing the winch and doing something
different than a rack gear system.

I saw this once on a light-duty construction crane:
http://www.texbrick.com/quick_pics/tower_crane.jpg

I'm not 100% certain about the mechanism that drove the trolly back and
forth, but the lifting line was oriented this way. This forces you to have a
2-part block.

On the tower crane I built years ago, I used a loop of chain to drive the
trolly back and forth along the boom. This had problems because the chain
was flexible- it stretched axially (particularly in the long length used),
but I'm sure string suffers the same problem.

TJ