 Technic / 5745
Re: 8466 4 wheel steering?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:18:28 GMT

"Mark Koesel" <koesel@umich.edu> writes:

Looking at these pieces, I'm left wondering why the designers chose
to use such an atypical wheel attachment when designing the black
wheel bearing when they could have just used a standard (male)
cross axle fitting as the means to connect the wheel..?

I'm guessing that the setup with the three friction pegs gives the
wheel some more stability.  If they had used only a cross axle, the
wheel might have been a bit sloppy.  Wheels that are that large
probably need something larger than a cross axle to connect to,
otherwise the forces involved may loosen the cross axle hole in the
wheel.  At least that is my theory...

Thanks for posting the pics.  I've been wondering how this model worked for
months now! :)

Me too!

Fredrik