 Technic / 5764
Re: 8466 4 wheel steering?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:33:32 GMT

"Chris Fenter" <chris@i-axis.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

I would recommend it, for sure, for the new parts (the springs are
unique too, as they are stiffer than the grey/black ones, in the
same way as 8458's yellow springs are

I certainly like the way most of the new cars use only one shock
absorber per wheel.  That is much more realistic than the twin shock
abosorbers from 8880.  It is also better, as two shock absorbers add
more friction to the suspension, making it less useful.

but the one thing that disappoints me is that it's not that much
different from 8448 - functionally it's very similar, and
decorative details are very sparse. It was a quicker model to
build.

I can see that it is mostly similar to the 8448 in terms of function:
The only addition is the four wheel drive.  Is the gear box mostly the
same as the one from 8448?

The 8448 featured the unique and genious modular construction.  I can
imagine that the 8466, without this feature, must be much less
complicated to build.  It is probably more rigid, too.  The 8448 had a
problem with a flexing chassis, didn't it?

The steering turns about 22.5° each way (a quarter of a right
angle), with the tie rods and other obstructions removed, but with
these items still in place on the swing arm struts, and the
drive-shafts retained in place. The limiting factor appears to be
the actual cv joint to the drive shaft itself - the ball joint
appears to prevent it from turning further.

Hm, I think this is somewhat bad news.  I think that 22.5° is a pretty
small angle.  Anyway, based on my experiments, the limiting factor in
the 8880 setup was the CV joint as well.

Fredrik