 Technic / 5724
Re: 8466 4 wheel steering?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 21:47:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Chris Fenter" <chris@i-axis.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

That's very interesting!  Looks like they have simply shrinked the
8880-setup.  Very cleverly done.

agreed!

Can I ask a question about the hole in the yellow thing with the four
ball joints?  Is the diameter of the hole the same as the ordinary
technic axles?  I.e., can you put a technic axle through it in the
usual way?  It looks abit wider to me, but it's hard to tell.

As they stand, slim chance of a cross-axle going through in the normal way,
as the yellow & black parts are pre-assembled (I'll let someone else try
separating them first...!!), and there's a bulkhead/lip inside the black
piece which has a small hole in it - smaller than a cross-axle [large enough
to let a flex cable (but not a flex housing) through].

The yellow piece would, I am sure, allow a cross-axle through it alone, if
it were separated from the black piece, but it's anyone's guess as to the
internal diameter (yes, it's wider than a cross-axle), so there's the
question of how to seat it. (It looks about the same diameter as a new,
toothless half-bush, but there's a lip & I can't tell without dismantling it...)

I'm sure there's a way of inserting a cross axle through the yellow piece
alone, but it doesn't look straightforward, and I don't want to damage my
parts so soon by trying to separate them! (Service Pack, TLG, PLEASE!!)

Thanks for the images!

glad to be of service!

Chris.