 Technic / 4549
Re: The bodge and it's use in Technic Construction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:57:28 GMT

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> writes:
bob sardelli wrote:
If I understand correctly, sounds like what we (in USA) call a "kludge".
Although in a less technical (read "non-computer geek") context we might say
its was a jury-rigged or jack-legged solution.

More or less, but I think "kludge" carries more negative connotations than
"bodge"; a bodge is generally thought of as a clever workaround (although still
a workaround), whereas "kludge" seems to imply an ugly or inelegant solution
that will cause problems either now or at a later date.

That depends on whether you're the hacker implementing the kludge or
the manager tolerating it.

Actually, "hack" might be closer (at least within certain circles) in
meaning than "kludge".

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx