 Technic / 4427
Re: Ideas for new sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:07:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Henry Chea writes:
James Powell wrote:

I'm just more thinking of coolness factor, and caliper units which the flex
system activated, and gripped onto a 4x4 pulley seems way up there to me.

I've tried making such a system, and unless lego comes out with
high-friction pads, there is no way to clamp down a 4x4 pulley hard
enough to notice any braking action.  The ratio between 4x4 pulley and
big wheel is too great, plus us humans push the cars with a lot of force.

How about putting a rubber band in the groove of the pulley, and have the
calipers grip opposide sides (ie accross a diameter)? Not as technically
correct, but a lot more stopping power. Or use rubber bands on the calipers
themselves?

ROSCO